Monday, January 7, 2008

January 7, 2008

Composting 101

My goal is to complete this blog by the end of the trip. I want to be able to compost at my house in Miami. I think that this is something that could really be a fun project for the next six months and just an independent learning project for me. I know that I need to put food scraps in the compost pile. I know that I can put some paper in the pile, but not a lot. I think that burning paper and putting the ashes in the compost will help dry it out although I’m not sure if this is a good thing. I must ask. I know that peeing on the compost pile will help it decompose as well as keep it from not getting too dry. I love Sasha’s idea that it would be amazing if a single nitrogen molecule could cycle through my body twice, or even many more times. I want to try!

I think that I could compost in the side yard of my house, out of the door. Maybe even set up a sort of dry toilette to use for myself. I don’t know; these are all just ideas. I really need to ask about the composting idea. I’d need to set up buckets or a blocked off area for the compost. I think I could do it and Sasha says that is will decompose into fertile soil in three to four months. That is not that long at all. I’d only get to attempt one or two cycles, but it’d be worth trying for the hell of it. I’d need to set up a garden area too. Lots of research I must do! But I’m definitely up to the challenge. This stuff is fun to me. That is why I am here.

Kevin says that setting up a compost pile would be relatively easy. He says that I need two or three storage bins. I can compost in them. He also says that in Miami is would be best to keep the lid on the bin. He says that in Miami creatures might find their way to the pile if I don’t. I would need a new jug to in order to keep it moist. I don’t necessary want to you the kitten stuff I have now. I’ll have to invest in these items when I return. I will start in the first bin and rotate every few weeks. This will insure fast decomposition and complete mixing of the items in the pile.

Next I would like to make a garden. I would like to grow tomatoes because they are easy to grow, but I don’t really like them. However, I could learn to cook with them. I’d love to try to grow potatoes because I love them so much. I’d also like onions, again for cooking, and maybe I could research a few herbs or spices, something new. I think this will also expand my diet. I could choose extremely healthy spices to add to my diet. My new year’s resolution is going to be to be healthier which includes eating and running and stretching as well as expanding my mind.

No comments: